Change font size
It is currently 2020-09-24, 10:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Mugasha
PostPosted: 2010-12-27, 8:34 pm 

From - http://mugasha.com/about and the FAQ
Quote:
Overview
Simply put, Mugasha makes it really easy to listen to Electronic Music podcasts and long sets from world famous DJs. Think of us as Hulu.com for some of the most popular dance music sets in the world. We "chop up" the sets to enable users to easily skip and browse through the songs in each set.

Mission
Mugasha's mission is to help artists build stronger brands and monetize on their art in new ways. We will create a service that fans love and enable them to enjoy music when, where, and how they want to.
Company
Mugasha started as a small project at Startup Weekend in Portland, OR. The idea sprung out of Akshay's painful music listening experience. As an avid listener of DJ sets, he found it tedious to download sets each week from different artists and then try to guess the names of the songs he was listening to. A few months after that weekend, Akshay and Justin decided to build Mugasha, a service that would provide a better music listening experience to other people who love electronic music.
- Mugasha launched in public beta at Demolicious on January 7th, 2009.
- Mugasha was one selected as one of the Finalists for SXSW 2008 Accelerator.
- Launched publicly on August 20th, 2009.

Q: Is the music on Mugasha legal?
A: Yes. We work directly with DJs to get permission to host and distribute all of the material on Mugasha.

With that being said - I believe CueNation is obviously at a much different stage and more of a community of cue makers and new music enthusiasts. However, I believe CueNation could launch either a separate site that would blow Mugasha away due to the amount of cues available - but permission/partnerships would need to be established with artists/DJs to allow their sets to be featured. It appears that DJs would earn a portion of site revenue which would mean a win-win. OR just partner with Mugasha and give cue makers a cut too. I know lindmik loves us and hasn't sold out yet but I think there are some interesting possibilities here. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Mugasha
PostPosted: 2010-12-27, 8:52 pm 

JoDo Wrote:
From - http://mugasha.com/about and the FAQ
Quote:
Overview
Simply put, Mugasha makes it really easy to listen to Electronic Music podcasts and long sets from world famous DJs. Think of us as Hulu.com for some of the most popular dance music sets in the world. We "chop up" the sets to enable users to easily skip and browse through the songs in each set.

Mission
Mugasha's mission is to help artists build stronger brands and monetize on their art in new ways. We will create a service that fans love and enable them to enjoy music when, where, and how they want to.
Company
Mugasha started as a small project at Startup Weekend in Portland, OR. The idea sprung out of Akshay's painful music listening experience. As an avid listener of DJ sets, he found it tedious to download sets each week from different artists and then try to guess the names of the songs he was listening to. A few months after that weekend, Akshay and Justin decided to build Mugasha, a service that would provide a better music listening experience to other people who love electronic music.
- Mugasha launched in public beta at Demolicious on January 7th, 2009.
- Mugasha was one selected as one of the Finalists for SXSW 2008 Accelerator.
- Launched publicly on August 20th, 2009.

Q: Is the music on Mugasha legal?
A: Yes. We work directly with DJs to get permission to host and distribute all of the material on Mugasha.

With that being said - I believe CueNation is obviously at a much different stage and more of a community of cue makers and new music enthusiasts. However, I believe CueNation could launch either a separate site that would blow Mugasha away due to the amount of cues available - but permission/partnerships would need to be established with artists/DJs to allow their sets to be featured. It appears that DJs would earn a portion of site revenue which would mean a win-win. OR just partner with Mugasha and give cue makers a cut too. I know lindmik loves us and hasn't sold out yet but I think there are some interesting possibilities here. Thoughts?

Yet? How about never! Sure, the site has a nice idea, but I've used it maybe twice, just to check out how badly my timings (which have been copied without notifying me) work. They don't seem to adapt the timings at all to the releases that they have on the site, creating a (for crazy people like me) annoying offset. OK, seriously, I haven't used the site as I get my stuff from other sources, a lot doesn't exist on Mugasha, or is added sometime (should be exactly when the set is "released" - e.g. show ends on DI.fm), and if I need a cue, I get it from our site, or create it myself. Listening on the web is not a normal use case for me, I mostly listen on the move.

What I would like is a program that automatically gets a show and the newest version of the cue and splits the set, so that the only thing I need to do is hook up my mp3 player (cellphone) and it would copy the split set there. Of course, a Mugasha style "preview" for the site would be a nice to have feature.

PostPosted: 2010-12-28, 8:46 am 

haha there we go! I agree on the whole mobility factor - I personally don't have to split (Meridian on Android supports .cue's) - I'd imagine some type of RSS parser that supported mp3 downloading could work and on download completion launch a cue splitter app like mp3splt perhaps? Now you just need RSS feeds! You could maybe make use of something like: http://sourceforge.net/projects/rssowl/ - I sorta lost interest in listening to ASOT, etc every week otherwise I'd be all over something like this. If I could get it to play nice with uTorrent and my feeds setup on there I'd be set. I'll have to look into this (note: I have no programming experience)

PostPosted: 2011-01-07, 3:40 am 

JoDo Wrote:
I personally don't have to split (Meridian on Android supports .cue's))

wa-wa-wa-whhat!! seriously? does it work well, as well as foobar for instance? and is it free? it'd sure be nice to have this on my evo...

on topic... i do like the layout and feel of mugasha, but that's about it. i've only used it to quickly listen to a set if i didn't have time to get the set myself or check out a new show... it's actually how i got interested in gdjb, which i didn't used to like. :) they have a very limited show selection, and it is out of date, but i do like how they implement finding songs of one artist or of one song to look in which sets it was played. it's pretty similar to http://www.1001tracklists.com/ if you haven't checked this site out.

PostPosted: 2011-01-07, 11:23 am 

m1nt Wrote:
JoDo Wrote:
I personally don't have to split (Meridian on Android supports .cue's))

wa-wa-wa-whhat!! seriously? does it work well, as well as foobar for instance? and is it free? it'd sure be nice to have this on my evo...

on topic... i do like the layout and feel of mugasha, but that's about it. i've only used it to quickly listen to a set if i didn't have time to get the set myself or check out a new show... it's actually how i got interested in gdjb, which i didn't used to like. :) they have a very limited show selection, and it is out of date, but i do like how they implement finding songs of one artist or of one song to look in which sets it was played. it's pretty similar to http://www.1001tracklists.com/ if you haven't checked this site out.

Oh, we will be able to make pretty awesome find functionalities when the databasification is done! Though, I think I will have to study CakePHP some more.

If we had mp3s for all sets, we could add some DSP to build fingerprints for all tracks, and then we could have automated cue creation for sets with fingerprinted tracks. I know just the guy to implement this. :lol:

PostPosted: 2011-01-09, 5:30 am 
Site Admin

i've dealt with fingerprinting's for quite some time... its not worth the time to create our own database and the open source fingerprinters aren't that good anyways. its better to use something already existing like MusicBrainz database... download Jaikoz app that uses MusicBrainz db and give it a shot, its actually pretty sick!

there is this cli app that i use for windows that scans any file and stores the fingerprint hash as ID3 tag which of course we can use on the website to query the MusicBrainz database and retrieve the ID, and if it doesnt exists yet we can contribute and save the ID to their database so next query of same track will return the ID.

but in the end, if we do anything like that that we'll need to upgrade to at least a vps since shared hostings dont give us much CPU and privileges are limited so if an app requires some libraries and our hosting doesnt provide them then we're pretty much SOL

PostPosted: 2014-12-13, 8:38 am 

Those kind of layouts are a bit harder (but more fun) to style since you have to be quite proficient with CSS since CSS will be 100% responsible for the looks. But I think I'm at the level where that won't be a problem. So yeah, I'll go ahead and code everything in plain HTML with minimal CSS and we'll worry about layout and styling after the site is fully functional.

We are the pioneers in providing black belt six sigma toefl and istqb advanced test manager exams with Test-king exam pass www.goucher.edu Download our latest passguide gmat and Florida Memorial University ccna

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]