Change font size
It is currently 2020-09-24, 11:33 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: REST API, Web-app and mobile friendly website
PostPosted: 2015-07-14, 1:13 pm 

Hey guys,

i have been following cuenation for, almost, 5 years. I absolutely love the job that is made here. I've been searching a way to contribute (for FREE of course) with my knowledge for this site. And i have been thinking, made an light web-app (cross platform) for search cues and follow artists and radioshows (receiving a push message when a new cue is added), also make the website more mobile friendly.

All these things i'll do with pleasure, and of course for learn and practice new technologies. I learn well when i have an project to do.

For the website, i can made a proposal, with no compromises and presents the layout for the admins. For the mobile app, all that i need is a API developed for push information about new cues and a endpoint for searching and subscribe.

Of course i i'll do all this only with the pleasure for helping cuenation, and of course, use the name only if the admins agree with that.

You can email me anytime. =D

Cheers :idea:

Post subject: Re: REST API, Web-app and mobile friendly website
PostPosted: 2015-07-14, 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure everyone here who have ability to implement a public RESTful api, state-less frontend, etc all would love to do so. While all this sounds awesome, and even probably necessary, the bottleneck lies with the amount of free time we have to dedicate and work on it. With fulltime jobs and other irl responsibilities, pretty much the best we can do atm is just maintain the current platform and fix whenever it breaks.

PostPosted: 2015-07-14, 6:54 pm 

I would be happy to help the team with this, or make a prototype, provide with some documentations of how this actually works.

:) if the team wanna and agree with that. For now i am looking for some projects i would love to contribute. I know cuenation doesn't have open sourced code (and not mention to be). So... take this for a long term change, or a appreciator would can help. :)

PostPosted: 2015-07-14, 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

Got it. I'll keep you in mind when we start the rework.

PostPosted: 2015-07-14, 9:37 pm 

What would be a practical way to open source the site? A Github project? Is there an easy way to stage a development version and push to production? The dev site would need to have some data, preferably not be against production data.

PostPosted: 2015-07-14, 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, its pretty easy with git. Code locally and then push code to a github repo which will have 2 branches - development and production. Use dev branch to dev and once things are stable enough, push changes to main which then is pushed to the webserver.

With laravel you store all db/sensitive info in .env file and the add it to .gitignore to prevent pushing of sensitive info.

For staging you simply clone the dev branch to a different folder on the server, which can be setup to be served on http://dev.cuenation.com or something like that, with its own db to prevent messing around with the live version.

PostPosted: 2015-07-15, 6:23 am 

Are you using Vagrant? I'm unsure of if it would be useful or not.

PostPosted: 2015-07-15, 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

It's really up to you what you run your dev box on, but it's preferred that it's something as close to the production environment as possible. Vagrant can work, I've used it before and its pretty easy to work with.

Our server is Ubuntu 14.04 / Nginx / HHVM. If you can find a vagrant template that will setup with the above, that would be the best.

PostPosted: 2015-07-17, 1:02 pm 

For open-source the site or "half-open", you can create an private repository (in github, bitbucket or gitlab), assign for some users and work with pull requests. Only if the "core team" approves, the code will be merged with the master version. We can use the suggestion of frifox for work with a dev ambient.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]