Change font size
It is currently 2020-09-24, 12:14 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 5   [ 42 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Features
PostPosted: 2010-10-05, 5:29 am 

frifox Wrote:
new feature that would make the site unique... have css skins rotate depending on your time-zone's part of the day. same skin but different colorings, aka - dark colored one for nights, light colored for days, maybe even morning/evening styles respectively as well

iGoogle already has it.

PostPosted: 2010-10-05, 11:53 am 
Site Admin

never use iGoogle... so much for my "innovation" :P

PostPosted: 2010-10-07, 11:21 am 

i saw all the fields in the dev sandbox site for each cue--maybe there should be a better way to search/sort through cue's than is implemented right now (search by performer, date, release, etc.). and then when you have the results shown, be able to sort them (by date, alphabetical, ...)

PostPosted: 2010-10-07, 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

right now i'm getting all the basic functions implemented. once that is done, i'll be working on the details such as better search, better sorting, layout, etc...

ps: for some reason it can't remember that i logged in after short amount of time... gotta check out the session & cookie handling business.

Post subject: Re: Feature Requests
PostPosted: 2010-11-15, 2:28 pm 

New feature ideas:
- users should be able to mark a cuesheet as "updateable" or "identified" if they identified some unknown tracks. So that admins or cue creators can verify and update the cuesheet. Naturally, the cue modifier should be able to remove this flag.
- list of recently updated cuesheets

PostPosted: 2010-11-15, 5:03 pm 

bpedro Wrote:
- users should be able to mark a cuesheet as "updateable" or "identified" if they identified some unknown tracks. So that admins or cue creators can verify and update the cuesheet. Naturally, the cue modifier should be able to remove this flag.

Good idea! I had thought of some user hierarchy, where all users can edit cues, but power users can override and lock tracks, but your idea is easier and makes more sense.

A spinoff from this, it should be possible to link unidentified tracks in different sets, e.g. in many GDJB tracklist they write something like "ID - ID (Track 02 from World Tour Melbourne)", but preferably without the comment, just a sign that this ID is played in another set.

bpedro Wrote:
- list of recently updated cuesheets

Should be easy enough if we just store a "last modified" to the database. The DB can actually fill in this data automatically.

PostPosted: 2010-11-15, 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

good idea on the Last Modified, tho one problem. MySQL: there can be only one TIMESTAMP column with CURRENT_TIMESTAMP in DEFAULT or ON UPDATE clause. this is a problem since i already have a timestamp field that stores cue date_uploaded value and MySQL isn't letting me create another timestamp field with auto-value like current_timestamp or current_timestamp_on_update. i guess i'll just have php manually fill in the date_uploaded field since it happens only once in cue lifetime and leave the more-frequent task such as filling date_updated to mysql. another solution would be use of BEFORE INSERT or BEFORE UPDATE triggers that would auto-fill as many fields as i want. haven't done triggers before so i'll have to research that before implementing.

the Updateable/Identified business... you mean any member can flag a cuesheet if they found and ID for the set so that the uploader/mod/admin can go back and validate that the ID is correct, and mod the cue accordingly if it is?

and the track-linking business could be a little tricky since it'll be a many-to-many relation within the same mysql table, not between different tables which could have been much easier. also, there wouln't be a definite parent record to link to due to the "mesh" nature of such relations which could lead to a possibility of multiple linked ID clusters relating to the same real track... bwuahh, this is getting complex. i'll have to sit down and properly think this through if we'll be implementing such a feature :D

PostPosted: 2010-11-16, 9:02 am 

frifox Wrote:
... another solution would be use of BEFORE INSERT or BEFORE UPDATE triggers that would auto-fill as many fields as i want. haven't done triggers before so i'll have to research that before implementing.

I'd recommend triggers, I think it's not a good practice to use timestamps both from SQL and PHP within the same DB.

frifox Wrote:
the Updateable/Identified business... you mean any member can flag a cuesheet if they found and ID for the set so that the uploader/mod/admin can go back and validate that the ID is correct, and mod the cue accordingly if it is?

Yes, something like that. The use cases/sequences for this feature would be something like:
- User identifies an unknown track --> shouts it in the comment box --> labels the cue as "updateable" --> cue creator is notified
- restriction: unauthenticated user shall not be able remove "updateable" flag
- Cue creator/admin verifies the IDed track --> updates the cue accordingly --> removes label
- If a cue is whole and verified already, users shall not be able to label it as "updateable" - this would reduce fake labeling.

PostPosted: 2010-11-16, 9:35 am 
Site Admin

that would be more complex... here's what im thinking: let anyone post "suggestions" which will work same way as comments but will not be shown in the comments sidebar. that "suggestions" comment stream can be viewed on demand by anyone and mods/uploader will be notified as soon as a suggestion is submitted and will ask them to act upon it. easier?

the reason my suggestion above to use comment-like method is that cuesheets already will have a "flag". that flag will classify cuesheet's tracklist as incomplete/3rd-party (tl from di.fm's forum, us, etc + ID - ID's), complete/3rd-party (no ID - ID's), or official (tl from dj's themselves or tracklist verified and confirmed by an admin/mod + no ID - ID's). those "flags" can be referenced as bronze, silver, and gold status. obviously anyone can sign up and be notified as soon as cuesheet's status is changed. "gold" cuesheets can have ID - ID only if the track is unreleased and dj doesnt have permission to release the ID.

PostPosted: 2010-11-16, 10:32 am 

Well,if you think that it's easier, I'm totally happy with it :D Basically it's the same concept, in a separate "suggestions" comment stream without a dedicated flag/label. In that case, silver and gold cuesheets shouldn't have this comment stream available, only bronze...
That will be cool! ;)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 5   [ 42 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next